EDO NQ is run by a Management Committee made up of dedicated North Queensland community members who volunteer their time to manage the affairs of EDO NQ. The Management Committee aims to be representative of the different regions of Northern Queensland and come from a variety of backgrounds (lawyers, conservationists, scientists, academics etc.). Indeed, eight positions on EDO NQ’s Management Committee are reserved for a nominee from each of the following:
- Cairns and Far North Environment Centre Inc. (CAFNEC)
- North Queensland Conservation Council Inc. (NQCC)
- Mackay Conservation Group Inc. (MCG)
- Tourism Sector operating within Northern Queensland
- Natural Resource Management Groups (NRM Groups) operating within Northern Queensland.
- The Dean of the Faculty of Law, University of Melbourne (or his or her nominee).
- The Head of the School of Law, James Cook University of North Queensland
(JCU) (or his or her nominee).
- A professional Director appointed from the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
The Management Committee meets once a month or more frequently as required, and Finance and Litigation Subcommittees focus on financial matters and on casework and advice services.
Click on the names below to view the management committee biographies.
Our current Management Committee members are:
- Mark Buttrose - President
- Grant Fawcett - Vice-President
- Paul Matthews - Secretary
- Brynn Mathews - Treasurer
- Renee Lees - Cairns and Far North Environment Centre (CAFNEC) representative
- Peter McCallum - Mackay Conservation Group (MCG) representative
- Rebecca Smith - North Queensland Conservation Council (NQCC) representative
- Kate Galloway - James Cook University (JCU) Law School representative
- Bob Frazer Natural Resource Management Groups representative
- Stuart Worboys - Independent Member
- Sue Reid - Independent Member
Please feel free to contact us if you have a public interest environmental issue or wish to find out more about environmental and planning laws.
Keep up to date on environmental law matters by subscribing to our regular Alerts or visiting our Facebook page,which has the largest social community of all nine EDOs in Australia!
If you would like to support the EDO NQ, and in particular our test cases, we encourage you to (a) make a tax deductible donation (please consider a regular donation), (b) become a member, (c) make arrangements for a bequest, and/or (d) volunteer.